George Lambert

View in Catalogue Record

First name: George

Middle name:

Last name: Lambert

Personal information:

On the outbreak of World War I Lambert, was unable to enlist in the Australian Imperial Force in London. In December 1917 he was appointed an official war artist, A.I.F., with the honorary rank of lieutenant, and commissioned to execute twenty-five sketches and to paint 'The Charge of the Light Horse at Beersheba' on 31 October 1917. Lambert also painted 'The Charge of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade at the Nek, 7th August 1915'. He arrived at Alexandria, Egypt, in January 1918. Despite contracting malaria, he embarked for Marseilles, France, in May with over 130 sketches, many of which were exhibited later that year at the Royal British Colonial Society of Artists' War and Peace Exhibition.In January 1919, as honorary captain, he visited Gallipoli on the historical mission with C.E.W. Bean. Bean noted that Lambert 'was, I think, more sensitive than the rest of us to the tragedy - or at any rate the horror - of Anzac'. Lambert impressed on Bean that he wanted 'a clear military "operation order" setting out the work to be done'. After recovering from dysentery in Cairo he visited Palestine, returning to London in August. He returned to Australia in 1921 and died on 29 May 1930 at Cobbity, near Camden. He was buried in the Anglican section of South Head cemetery.

Arthur John Moore Burrowes letters and postcards to his family, 26 January 1918-15 September 1919
'If anything else is added the post card will be destroyed'

Keeping the secrets of battles fought, won and lost, makes for very clinical correspondence from ‘over there’. Reading between the lines about the realities of life in the armed forces must have been very difficult for the recipients of such scant morsels of information. It isn’t exactly a wordy message but I am sure it would have been happily received back home with the first line kept intact. See postcard.
Ph: +61 2 9273 1414
Fax: +61 2 9273 1255

State Library of NSW
Macquarie Street,
Sydney NSW 2000,

Media Enquiries